D&C 98:3 "...all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory..."

Isaiah 41:13 "For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

When upon life's billows...

As difficult as things seem right now, there are several things I'm very thankful for. Here are some of them:

1. We feel the love and support of so many family members and friends. Several of them participated in a special fast and a family prayer for Merlynn, which we appreciated so much!

2. We've always felt peace as we've knelt and prayed together and expressed our fears and concerns to our Heavenly Father.

3. We're thankful that this type of cancer is probably a slow-growing kind and we'll likely live many more happy years here in mortality together.

4. We feel blessed that when the doctor who performed the CAT scan was about to send us home, thinking the masses in Mer's liver might be tangled blood vessels, he miraculously found an old CAT scan from Merlynn's 2004 kidney stone at the last minute. He noticed Merlynn's liver was free of lesions at that time, which led him to believe Mer's tumors were not blood vessels after all. He performed an immediate biopsy. This allowed us to get the proper diagnosis right away, before Merlynn had any symptoms, giving us more time to study our options.

5. It appears Merlynn will not have to endure the sickness, distress, and the side-effects that come from chemo and radiation treatments. We're happy about this.

6. We're so grateful I was inspired to buy out my last year of teaching and retire in July. This will allow me to be with him every step of the way without the worry of having to miss school or prepare for substitutes.

7. I'm feeling incredibly thankful to have been blessed with the world's greatest husband! Heavenly Father gave me someone who is a perfect match! I love him so much!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, Laurie! You'll see that this really fills a niche in your life right now. Blogging is great. I've been doing it for about 2 years. This is good to see what's happening to you guys but most of all important for you to get your feelings out. My blog is laughinghorseart.blogspot.com in case you'd like to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. just wow. It seems weird to call you anything other than 'miss erickson' so i will shoot for laurie (which is weird to me too Ü) i love to 'hear' your uplifting perspective. Thank you for being willing to share! I too have a blog about nothing more than my life rjhakes.blogspot.com
    keep us all updated. i hope for the best for you and your beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Laurie, for all of us that love you and Merlynn. I just got back into town and saw your fb post about the blog. I have really wanted to call you and chat, but figured you were probably overwhelmed with phone calls and questions, so this is a perfect way to be able to communicate.
    Praying for the miracle. Actually, the first miracle was you and Merlynn falling in love, and you FINALLY marrying the poor guy! Now we just need the next one.
    Love you,
    Carol L.

    ReplyDelete